We are now accepting applications for B.I.G. Summer 2018! Admission is competitive and early applications are strongly encouraged.
Applicants must be:
- a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or hold an F-1 visa
- a rising junior or senior
- have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- have some familiarity with at least one programming language (e.g. python, pearl, R, Java, MAT-LAB, C++, etc.)
- Preferably have taken bioinformatics or biostatistics courses
- Complete online application form
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member (emailed to BigSummer@ucla.edu by faculty)
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- Short responses to the following questions:
- Question 1: Describe your experience with computer programming (100 word max).
- Question 2: Describe the computer science courses you have taken or plan to take (100 word max).
- Question 3: Describe the biology science courses you have taken or plan to take (100 word max).
- Question 4: Describe any prior research experience you have had (100 word max).
- Question 5: Describe your interest in research, goals for the next 5-10 years, and why you are interested in this program (500 word max).
- Question 6: If you are interested in Track 2, list three UCLA faculty who’s research you are interested in and describe why (up to 200 words each). See below for list of participating laboratories.
- Question 7: UCLA QCB is committed to attracting exceptional students who will contribute to the University’s diversity. Describe how you have or may contribute to diversity (500 word max).
- Question 8: A limited number of stipends are available and are prioritized based on financial need and aptitude. If interested, please describe your reason for applying (500 word max).
Students interested in Track 2, should indicate their lab preferences in question 6. Please note, lab preferences are not guaranteed, but are highly considered. Students are placed based on background, skill sets, and laboratory needs.
To search for participating lab, begin here:
Genetics and Genomics: https://genomics.genetics.ucla.edu/core-faculty
Gene Regulation: http://www.mbi.ucla.edu/genereg/faculty/
Program Dates: June 25, 2018 – August 17, 2018
Application Deadline: February 1, 2018
For more information, please contact BigSummer@ucla.edu.