We are now accepting applications for B.I.G. Summer 2019! Admission is competitive and early applications are strongly encouraged.
PROGRAM DATES: JUNE 24 TO AUGUST 16, 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 4, 2019 at 5:00PM PST
Applicants must be:
- a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or F-1 visa holder;
- a rising junior or senior;
- have a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- have some familiarity with at least one programming language (e.g. python, pearl, R, Java, MAT-LAB, C++, etc.);
- preferably have taken bioinformatics or biostatistics courses.
A finalized application will include:
- a complete online application form;
- one letter of recommendation from a faculty member;
- one copy of your unofficial transcript;
- one document containing short responses to a set of eight questions posted.
Questions? Contact Lana Martin, QCB Programs Manager, at BIGSummer@ucla.edu.
- Complete online form, below
- Upload with the online form: one copy of your unofficial transcript
- Upload with the online form: one document containing responses to the following questions:
- Question 1: Describe your experience with computer programming (100 word max).
- Question 2: Describe the computer science courses you have taken or plan to take (100 word max).
- Question 3: Describe the biology science courses you have taken or plan to take (100 word max).
- Question 4: Describe any prior research experience you have had (100 word max).
- Question 5: Describe your interest in research and your educational goals (100 words max).
- Question 6: Describe why you are interested in this program (100 word max).
- Question 7: List three UCLA faculty who’s research you are interested in and describe why (up to 100 words each). Potential B.I.G. Summer mentors can be found on our partner programs’ websites:
- UCLA Institute for Quantitative and Computational Biosciences (QCBio)
- UCLA Interdepartmental Graduate Program (IDP) in Bioinformatics
- UCLA Genetics and Genomics BioSciences Program
- Gene Regulation, Epigenomics and Transcriptomics @ UCLA Molecular Biology Institute
- UCLA Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Question 8: UCLA QCB is committed to attracting exceptional students who will contribute to the University’s diversity. Describe how you have or may contribute to diversity (500 word max).
- Submit via email one letter of recommendation from a faculty member (please have faculty member email your letter to BigSummer@ucla.edu).