This workshop uses materials developed by the Broad Institute to teach Variant Calling with GATK. Attendees with no prior experience in variant calling are recommended to review all of the materials below before coming to the workshop. This early preparation will allow a focus on the specific issues of running GATK on the UCLA hoffman2 cluster rather than introducing the GATK variant calling pipeline. There will also be a focus on post variant discovery quality control steps as time allows.
- Hoffman2 setup
- Laptop/local computer setup
- GATK Primer
- Start GATK Tutorial, if time
Slides for day 1 can be found here.
- GATK tutorial
Slides for day 2 can be found here.
- Introduction to Variant Filtering
- Hard Filtering Variants
Slides for day 3 can be found here.
For the Workshop slides, please click below.
Prior to the start of class, attendees should have:
- Attendees are required to have a Hoffman2 account. To apply for an account, click here. UCLA participants who lack a faculty sponsor and non-UCLA participants may apply for a temporary Hoffman2 account, requesting sponsorship from Collaboratory Workshops.
- Everyone is required to work through the first 14 slides for Day 1. These will guide you to setting up your laptop and your hofman2 environment. We will start the first day troubleshooting any problems with these steps.
Attendees are strongly encouraged to bring a laptop computer capable of accessing UCLA’s WiFi, and recent versions of each of the following:
Dr. Xinjun Zhang (Jun) is a postdoctoral scholar at the Lohmueller lab in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Previously, she received her PhD in Anthropological genetics from UC Davis. Jun’s research lies at the intersection of empirical population genetics and statistical methods development, where she is particularly interested in the dynamics between admixture and selection. Currently, she is working on developing machine learning-based methods for the inference of adaptive introgression and dominance on the human genome. Email: email@example.com
Prerequisites: W1, W2, or
Length: 3 days, 2 hrs per day
Location: Boyer Hall, 529
Seats Available: 28
Nov. 23 and 24
1:30 PM to 4:30 PM
REGISTRATION IS OPEN!